YouTube link: Why So-Called Textile Recycling is an Absolute Disgrace
I wish I had better news to share with you about the state of textile recycling the world over, but no.
I know there are a lot of people out there doing their best to reduce the mountain of waste produced by the textile industry, but as it stands, we are not making much of a dent with the real cause of the problem, our “use it once and throw it away” fast fashion monster machines.
I also do not think second-hand stores are bad at all, I do love browsing when I spy one in the wild. But I know me having the time to do so is a privilege not everyone has. But frequenting second-hand shops more regularly is certainly a way we can help increase the fraction of donated clothes that actually gets resold!
But now for more exciting things. Below is a picture of the tiny hussif I am giving away, as well as all the details you need to enter. Let’s mend more things! 🙂Tiny Pocket Hussif by Kristine Vike
Giveaway link: https://gleam.io/bkSxy/tiny-pocket-hussif-by-kristine-vike
Shannon’s patchwork dressing gown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856Jlcu3RqI&t=1s
Other videos in the same vein:
- (1) Planned Obsolescence – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/planned-obsolescence (accessed 2023-02-16).
- (2) Winters, J. Rich countries are illegally exporting plastic trash to poor countries, data suggests. InvestigateWest. https://www.invw.org/2022/04/18/rich-countries-are-illegally-exporting-plastic-trash-to-poor-countries-data-suggests/ (accessed 2023-02-15).
- (3) Beall, A. Why clothes are so hard to recycle. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200710-why-clothes-are-so-hard-to-recycle (accessed 2023-02-15).
- (4) How Much Did the Pyramids Weigh?. Sciencing. https://sciencing.com/much-did-pyramids-weigh-7499289.html (accessed 2023-02-22).
- (5) Oakes, K. Why fabric fraud is so easy to hide. https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230206-fabric-fraud-how-to-spot-fake-fabric-claims (accessed 2023-02-15).
- (6) RPET Testing. Waste2Wear. https://www.waste2wear.com/our-offer/testing/ (accessed 2023-02-15).
- (7) Rag-and-Bone Man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rag-and-bone_man
- (8) Benjamin Law (Inventor). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Law_(inventor)
- (9) Twenty20, N. G. via. This Is What Really Happens to Your Used Clothing Donations. Reader’s Digest. https://www.rd.com/article/what-happens-used-clothing-donations/ (accessed 2023-02-16).
- (10) What Really Happens to Unwanted Clothes? | Green America. https://www.greenamerica.org/unraveling-fashion-industry/what-really-happens-unwanted-clothes (accessed 2023-02-16).
- (11) Sløsesjokket. https://tv.nrk.no/serie/sloesesjokket (accessed 2023-02-15).
- (12) “Dead White Man’s Clothes”: The Dirty Secret behind the World’s Fashion Addiction. ABC News. August 11, 2021. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-12/fast-fashion-turning-parts-ghana-into-toxic-landfill/100358702 (accessed 2023-02-16).
- (13) Kubania, J. How Second-Hand Clothing Donations Are Creating a Dilemma for Kenya. The Guardian. July 6, 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/06/second-hand-clothing-donations-kenya (accessed 2023-02-15).